Monday 7 May 2012

Well aren't I a muppet?

1) I had forgotten that I had spotted a 'snapper-up of unconsidered trifles' in the person of Autolycus, brilliantly played by Tony Bell in The Winter's Tale.
2) 'The game's afoot'. Source? No, not Sherlock Holmes. Henry V. I'm an idiot.

I have had Holmes on the mind a little, however, as I have been reading A Study in Sherlock  which is a collection of short stories inspired by the great detective. I bought it because of the story A Case of Death and Honey by Neil Gaiman, and then read the rest. It is passingly interesting that a Holmes fan in the UK is a Holmesian, whereas in the US they would be a Sherlockian. But the really funny thing was reading a story by an American writer (as the majority of them are) which had several American Holmes collectors flying to the UK to stay at the home of another collector who lived on Dartmoor. Coming down to breakfast in this grand house the narrator described eating 'egg, bacon and a scone'. This is because the nearest equivalent to the US 'biscuit' is a scone - only more savoury. It's scone-like in texture (presumably because both are made with milk) but bread like in taste, I suppose. From a British point of view probably the things you put on top of a beef cobbler are the nearest thing. But no English house would ever serve a scone with breakfast. You might have a potato scone with breakfast in Scotland - but that is another thing entirely. I have now lost the point of this, except that it might  vaguely be to do with words and things. Oh, and go see Propeller. See them do anything.

No comments: